This might be a weight loss blog primarily, but what’s the point of getting your body into shape if you don’t feel comfortable flashing a huge smile whenever you reach that ultimate target weight? Here’s a list of the worst foods for your teeth. They are highly acidic and attack the enamel which protects the inner parts and also cause yellowing.
1. Soda and Energy Drinks - diet and regular strip enamel from your teeth and cause discolouration because they are highly acidic.
2. Sports Drinks - Hydration during exercise is great, but unless you’re a serious athlete, consider sticking to water. The sugars and acids in sports drinks actually do more harm to teeth than soda!
3. Sour Candy - since we all are trying to lose weight and get in shape, this one shouldn’t be a problem. Sour candy has added acids to produce the taste and are the worst kind of candy for teeth.
4. Fruit Juice and Fruit - Natural fruit juices are great for your body and of course, so are fruits, but consume them in moderation. The acids in them are very hard on your teeth. Eat fruits with a meal to reduce the acid effects and rinse with water afterwards.
5. Vinegar - You might not think you consume this often, but it’s contained in everything from salad dressings to potato chips, sauces and pickles. It’s a low-fat way of adding flavour to food, but rinse your mouth afterwards to reduce the chances of tooth enamel erosion.
A Few Tips
- don’t swish or hold acidic drinks in your mouth for long
- rinse with water or chew sugarless gum afterwards to clean teeth
- consume high-calcium milk or cheese to help strengthen enamel
- wait 30 minutes before brushing after meals to allow enamel to reharden
- use a toothpaste fortified with flouride to rebuild enamel